NorthLink Ferries are operated by Serco Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales with Company Number 00242246 and having its registered office at Serco House, 16 Bartley Wood Business Park, Bartley Way Hook, Hampshire, RG27 9UY (“NorthLink Ferries”, “we”, “us”).
NorthLink Ferries is committed to protecting your privacy. Below we explain how we use any passenger information and how we protect your privacy.
Register of Passengers
- As a carrier NorthLink Ferries is obliged under the law to register the identity of our passengers and to inform governmental authorities hereof. Consequently, we need to register certain information when you book, including your name and identity. The register is operated as follows: –
1.1 The registration of this information is also a necessity for us to enable us to secure a smooth completion of the travel and to provide you with the services you have ordered.
1.2 The register is kept by NorthLink Ferries at its place of business at Aberdeen Ferry Terminal, Jamieson Quay, Aberdeen, AB11 5NP. You are welcome to contact us to be informed of the registration.
1.3 If you have signed up for receiving our e-mail newsletter – or receive other kinds of marketing material – you can unsubscribe as highlighted below.
Information we may collect from you
- We may collect and process the following data about you:
2.1 Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our site, subscribe to our service, search for a product or tickets, place an order on our site and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number (including mobile phone number), financial and credit card information, personal description and photograph, vehicle details. In addition, we need to know the name(s) of the passenger(s) travelling under any booking made by you.
2.2 Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our site we may automatically collect the following information:
2.2.1 technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
2.2.2. information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
2.3 Information we receive from other sources. We are working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
Uses made of the information
- We use information held about you in the following ways:
4.1 Information you give to us. We will use this information:
4.1.1 to process your reservation with us and to send you your travel itinerary if you have booked with us;
4.1.2 to contact you if there is an issue with your reservation;
4.1.3 to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
4.1.4 to provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
4.1.5 to provide you, or permit selected third parties (including any group companies of Serco Limited) to provide you, with information about services we feel may interest you. If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means with information about services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale or negotiations of a sale to you. If you are a new customer, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data;
4.1.6 to notify you about changes to our services or operations;
4.1.7 to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
4.2 Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
4.2.1 to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
4.2.2 to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
4.2.3 to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
4.2.4 as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
4.2.5 to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
4.2.6 to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
4.3 Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
4.4 We delete personal data when it is no longer necessary to hold such data for our business purposes or as required by law, whichever is the later.
Disclosure of your information
- We may share your personal information with any member of our group (which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006).
- We may share your information with selected third parties including:
6.1 Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you.
6.2 Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others.
6.3 Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
- We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
7.1 If Serco Limited ceases to operate the NorthLink Ferry Services and an alternative operator is appointed, Serco Limited will be required to transfer the personal data held about its customers to the newly appointed operator.
7.2 In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
7.3 If Serco Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
7.4 If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions of carriage and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of NorthLink Ferries , our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Where we store your personal data
- Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
- Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
- You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by us on 08001114422 (free from UK landlines and mobiles) or you can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
- The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.