NorthLink Ferries, Ferry Road, Stromness, Orkney, KW16 3BH, United Kingdom
Stromness Ferry Terminal can be found at Orkney’s main gateway – the busy port of Stromness. Dating from the 17th century, Stromness owes its origins to its excellent harbour.
Today, visitors and residents alike can stroll through the cobbled streets enjoying the range of craft shops, tremendous views of the harbour and the excellent dining opportunities.
Stromness is 16 miles from Kirkwall, 9 miles from Finstown and 19 miles from Kirkwall Airport.
- Stromness by Bus
In Stromness, buses stop opposite the ferry terminal. Buses are operated by Stagecoach.
There is a bus service from Stromness which connects with evening ferries to/from Hatston.
Visit our Hatston connecting bus page for more information.
- Stromness by Air
Kirkwall Airport is located 19 miles from Stromness. There is a regular bus service from Stromness to Kirkwall, and from Kirkwall to the airport, operated by Stagecoach. Inter-island services are operated by Loganair.
- Stromness by Sea
Orkney Ferries operate a regular passenger ferry service from Stromness to Graemsay and Hoy and also operate all other inter-island services.
Stromness Terminal Facilities
- Ticket Sales and Enquiries
- Tourist Information Centre
- Luggage area with lockers
- Hot and Cold Drinks Vending Machines
- Disabled Access
- Disabled Toilet
Parking at Stromness Terminal
There is short term parking available at the terminal, with long-stay parking available on Ferry Road, a short distance from the terminal.
Check-in for the 0630 sailing will open 60 minutes prior to departure. Passengers who have reserved an overnight cabin should check in and board for the 0630 sailing from Stromness between 2130 – 2330 the previous evening. For all other sailings check-in will open 90 minutes prior to departure. Car drivers are recommended to check in at least one hour prior to departure.
Final check-in is 30 minutes prior to departure.
|Stromness Ferry Terminal Opening Hours|
|Monday||0530 - 1645||2015 - 2345|
|Tuesday||0530 - 1645||2015 - 2345|
|Wednesday||0530 - 1645||2015 - 2345|
|Thursday||0530 - 1645||2015 - 2345|
|Friday||0530 - 1645||2015 - 2345|
|Saturday||0730 - 1645||2015 - 2345|
|Sunday||0730 - 1645||2015 - 2345|
|Office opening times may vary during the Festive Season.|
Information about the terminal for disabled customers
Location of Stromness Ferry Terminal
- The venue is situated in Stromness.
- The venue is not on a road with a steep gradient.
- This venue does have its own car park.
- The convenient dropoff point is located outside the main entrance
- There is not level access to the service.
- The main doors open automatically.
- The main doors slide open.
- The main door opening is 98cm wide.
- There is a second set of doors.
- The second doors open automatically (push button).
- The second doors slide open
- The second door opening is 98cm wide.
- There is a slope to access this area.
- The slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The slope is gradual.
- The slope is permanent.
- The width of the slope is 200cm.
- There is 1 entrance into the terminal building
- The reception desk is 9m from the front entrance.
- There is level access to reception from the entrance.
- The reception desk is high / low (split).
- Lighting levels are bright .
- There is a hearing assistance system.
- Any passengers who require any form of assistance should enquire at the reception desk and staff will arrange for help.
- There is level access.
- This venue does not play background music.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are the Walkway.
- There are 28 steps between floors.
- The lighting level is low.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium height.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- The stairs lead up to walkway which then leads to the ferry.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is a standard lift and is located prior to the walkway.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are the walkway.
- The lift is 32m from the accessible entrance.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The dimensions of the lift are 110cm x 160cm.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift – but lift is drive through.
- The lift does not have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does not have an audible announcer.
- The lighting level in the lift is bright.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lift takes passengers from the ground floor to the walkway which then leads to the ferry.
- There are adapted toilets within this venue designated for public use.
- The toilet is for the sole use of disabled people.
- The adapted toilet is 17m from the accessible entrance.
- The adapted toilet is located in the main terminal.
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the adapted toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The dimensions of the adapted toilet are 230cm x 150cm.
- There is a functional emergency alarm available.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- Wall mounted rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There are mirrors in the adapted toilet.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use. (2 mirrors – 1 lower)
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 45cm.
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer is 100cm high.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder is 120cm high.
- There is a sink.
- The sink is 75cm high.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- Lighting levels are bright.
- There are baby changing facilities in the adapted toilet.
Standard Toilets – Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilets are available.
Access to Standard Female Toilets
- The female toilets are located in the main terminal.
- The female toilets are 17m from the accessible entrance.
- Lighting levels are bright.
Access to Standard Male Toilets
- The male toilets are located in the main terminal.
- The male toilets are 14m from the accessible entrance.
- Lighting levels are bright .
Baby Change Facilities
- Baby change facilities are not located within the standard toilet.
- Registered assistance dogs are welcomed.
- There are wheelchairs available to borrow free of charge. On ship only – none in terminal
- These are only available for use between the Terminal Building and the Ferry.
- Opening times vary depending on both seasons and sailings.
- Passengers are advised to contact NorthLink Ferries on 0845 6000 449 for further information.
- Please ask at reception on arrival.