NorthLink Green Activities
Read previous Press Releases below, about the Green Initiatives that NorthLink Ferries have undertaken over the years.
- Friday 20th December 2019 – Serco NorthLink Ferries present RSPB Scotland with nature cruise donation
RSPB Scotland staff in Stromness received a visit from NorthLink staff members. They were presented with £2,600 from the proceeds of this year’s nature cruise.
- Monday 4th November 2019 – NorthLink ports gear up for extra cycle space
Serco NorthLink Ferries is now even more cycle-friendly with a new suite of storage facilities at nearly every port in its network. Work has been completed at four ports to provide capacity for 34 bikes.
- Monday 29th April 2019 –NorthLink Ferries waves goodbye to 210,000 disposable plastics
NorthLink has cut approximately 210,000 disposable plastic items from its services. Plastic glasses, cups, lids, teaspoons and portion pots have either been removed or replaced with sustainable alternatives.
- Friday 8th June 2018 – Serco NorthLink Ferries reduces use of single use plastics
Serco NorthLink Ferries is celebrating the UN’s #WorldOceansDay by announcing the action it is taking to reduce its use of single use plastic and minimise its carbon footprint.
- Wednesday 9th May 2018 – NorthLink Ferries continues support of RSPB Scotland community programme
NorthLink has gifted £2,200 from last year’s nature cruise to help fund RSPB Scotland’s community outreach programme, which delivers outdoor education to young people.
- Wednesday 12th October 2016 – How NorthLink Ferries divert 92% of waste from landfill
NorthLink Ferries carry approximately 300,000 passengers a year and are working with One Stop Waste Solutions to divert 92% of all their waste from landfill.
- Tuesday 15th December 2015 – NorthLink Ferries Records Marine Sightings
NorthLink’s support of a new conservation initiative has proved successful, with five harbour porpoises, a striped dolphin and a pilot whale spotted in the first four months.
- Thursday 2nd July 2015 – NorthLink Ferries Join the Lookout for Scotland’s Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises
More than 12 NorthLink Ferries crew members have undertaken training to help them spot whales, dolphins and porpoise whilst sailing between the mainland and northern isles.